Address: Rheindorfer Strasse 79, 53225 Bonn, Germany
Date of Birth: 05-Oct-76 - French and Lebanese Citizenships
- Mobile: +49-160-9728-4902
Results-oriented Executive with over 12 years of international experience in Telecoms. Track record of high performance in the execution of growth strategies and the delivery of innovative solutions. Deep understanding of business and technology processes through experience in business development, innovation, partnership development, product development & management, cross-functional program management, and corporate R&D. Lived in Europe, Middle East and the USA.
Vice President Business Development & Innovation Scouting
International Businesses Division, November 2012 - Present (Bonn, Germany)
- Increasing DT International Businesses Unit's competitiveness through innovation by cooperating with best-in-class Technology partners.
- P&L responsibility for the development & sales of enabling services to content & OTT players in the B2B and Wholesale markets.
- Leading a multinational team of product development, project management, business development and marketing professionals in Germany, Hungary and UK.
Head of Project Development
International Businesses Division, August 2011 - October 2012 (Bonn, Germany)
- Led a multinational team of product development and project management professionals through scouting, concept evaluation, incubation, realisation and portfolio management.
- Managed the product innovation and project development processes across International Businesses (IBU), ensuring the delivery of new products and propositions within the "Business Development & Innovation Scouting" (BI) team.
Senior International Partnership Development Manager
International Businesses Division, November 2009 - July 2011 (Bonn, Germany)
- Developed and set up a new business function for Deutsche Telekom for selling capabilities and synergy opportunities to other non-competing international telecom operators.
- Identified and executed strategic partnerships and international projects that created new growth segments for Deutsche Telekom. Structured, negotiated and secured two strategic partnerships with operator partners in Europe.
International Program Manager
Project Management Division, November 2007 - October 2009 (Bonn, Germany)
- Directed cross-functional project & program teams of 30+ managers, designers, developers
and technicians located in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, UK and Netherlands.
- Managed Top20 Product Development programs in collaboration with the Product Management
and Technology organisations of T-Mobile, as well as suppliers in Europe, North America and Asia.
- Successfully delivered the Mobile Instant Messaging program in Germany, Czech Republic and
UK (4 MEuro budget). Received T-Mobile International's CTO Award for exceptional performance.
International Project Manager
Mobile Messaging Group, June 2006 - October 2007 (Vienna, Austria)
- Turned around the Mobile IM/Super SMS project (2 MEuro budget) that was substantially
late to the market, and successfully delivered it to the business in Germany and UK.
- Supported the program management of several service implementation projects related to
the Instant Messaging and managed the technical inter-working activities with Vodafone.
- Supervised the mobile messaging design team located in Germany, Austria and Czech Republic
in a cross-functional initiative related to a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO).
- Maintained a solid understanding of the entire technology landscape and identifying
relevant trends, especially in the field of mobile messaging (SMS, MIM, MMS, Email, and Voice Messaging).
Corporate Research Lab, September 2001 - April 2006 (Paris, France)
- Managed "End-to-End Reconfigurability" (E2R) collaborative project (17 MEuro, 55 person-years/year) of the 6th Framework Programme of the European Commission (EC), interfacing on a daily basis with the consortium (28 partners across 10 countries in Europe and Asia).
- Provided overall technical coordination, ensured on-time delivery of deliverables to EC and drove coherent technical perspectives and liaison activities across the workpackages of such multi-disciplinary research project.
- Defined business opportunities and actively contributed to the strategy identification for reconfigurability, by the development of interactions within Motorola and the implementation of standardization and regulation plans.
- Defined and developed a service architectural framework in Beyond 3G (B3G) environment and implemented new concepts related to service management on Motorola B3G demonstration testbed (GPRS, WLAN, DVB-T).
- Led the multi-site and multi-partner development of the Monasidre (European project) telecommunications platform, and contributed to the conception and UML-based design of the platform.
Ericsson Radio Systems AB
System Engineer Intern
Product and Systems Management, May 2000 - December 2000 (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Analyzed the behavior of an IP-based radio access network for cellular mobile phone system.
- Developed a simulation tool, based on Network Simulator (NS), for the dimensioning of such network.
- Studied the network performance and documented several scenarios of voice and data applications.
Cegetel - Société Française du Radiotéléphone (SFR)
Engineering Division, June 1999 - August 1999 (Paris, France)
- Analyzed GSM protocols at A/Abis interfaces, and developed procedures for the analysis and its post-processing.
- Gained knowledge of GSM standard as well as database development and management.
Thomson Broadcast Systems
Marketing Department, June 1998 - December 2000 (Paris, France)
- Created the corporate website of the company (3-month), and maintained it regularly for 2+ years.
- Conducted the project lifecycle from specifications to delivery, and organized its development.
Kellogg School of Management / WHU
Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA), 2008-2010 (Vallendar, Germany/Chicago, USA)
- Executive MBA program jointly offered by the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University (USA) and the WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management (Germany). General management program focusing on Team Leadership.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2000-2001 (Atlanta, USA)
- Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (GPA 3.87/4.0). Major in Telecommunications and Minor in Management.
Graduate School in Electronic Engineering:
French Engineering Degree in Electronics, 1997-2000 (Paris, France)
- Graduate engineering degree in Networks and Telecommunications.
Preparatory Classes: Lycée Privé
Two-year program, 1995-1997 (Paris, France)
- Intensive program in Mathematics and Physics preparing entrance to highly selective French Engineering Schools.
PATENT & PUBLICATIONS
- K. El-Khazen, G. Martinez, R. State, "Management of a communications terminal using a management platform in a different administrative domain" (EP1443701).
- More than 50 papers published in international conferences and journals in the field of mobile communications (incl. IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, IEEE Communications Magazine...).
LATEST PROFESSIONAL TRAININGS
- The GAP Partnership: Complete Skilled Negotiator.
- MARGA General Management: International Business Simulation.
- T-Mobile International's CTO Award (November 2008).
- Volunteer in the Lebanese association of Order of Malta.
- Member of the Electronics Association of E.N.S.E.A. (1997 - 1999).
- Program Committee Member of 1st International Workshop on Secure and Ubiquitous Networks 2005 (Denmark).
- Technical Program Committee Member of IST Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit 2005 (Germany).
- Technical Program Committee Member of E2R Workshop 2004 (Spain).
- Languages: Arabic and French: mother tongues; English: fluent; German: beginner.
- Treasurer of a non-profit organization "Concept ENSEA" (Junior Enterprise) (1997 - 1999).
- Interests include traveling, photography, management reading, and web technologies.
- Studied in Lebanon, France, Germany and the USA.
- Travelled through North America, Europe, Middle-East and Asia.
- Sports include skiing, hiking and swimming.